On Saturday, Mexican rivals Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. square off in front of what's expected to be the largest indoor crowd for a bout in Las Vegas. It's the fight that boxing fans have been yearning for several months, as Golovkin and Alvarez are clearly the two best middleweights in the world and certainly among the best pound-for-pound boxers.
Alvarez, who had been fighting at light middleweight, had been accused of ducking the heavier Golovkin for a year.
The contract has been signed, The Associated Press reported, only the venue is undetermined. "The fight is done", Alvarez revealed.
Alvarez was a 6½-1 favorite to defeat Chavez at MGM Grand's sports book Wednesday. (50-2-1) in a super middleweight match that has fans very excited. But Chavez has fought just once in almost two years and has lost twice in his past six bouts. "I wanted to give the Mexican public a great fight".
Canelo Alvarez lands a right hand against JulioCesar Chavez Jr. during their fight in Las Vegas. "I've shown I can do lots of things in the ring, anything a fighter brings, I've shown I can showcase myself". "I always thought he was a good fighter".
Alvarez's team was so confident, they cut the deal with Golovkin before the bout.
Canelo was short and sharp in his response, merely replying: "luck is for mediocre people".
Alvarez had no choice after relinquishing his WBC belt a year ago to Golovkin when he declined to reach a fight deal. I've said in the past that this is the kind of fight that [you can do] two or three times. Golovkin weighed in at 159.6 pounds before winning a unanimous decision over Daniel Jacobs in March for his 18th title defense.
US President Trump arrives in Saudi Arabia
In addition, Comey agreed to testify at an open hearing of the Senate intelligence committee in the near future, the panel said. President Donald Trump during a reception ceremony in Riyadh , Saudi Arabia, May 20, 2017. "He was crazy.a real nut job".
For Chavez Jr., it marks his third loss in the last five years, after having opened his career with a 46-0-1 mark. "I'll keep working with Nacho [Beristain, his trainer]". "I would've attacked more, but I would've been countered by his punches".
"He beat me. If I attacked more, I would be open for more counterpunches", Chavez said. I would've attacked more I would've been countered by his punches. Canelo was backed up into the ropes a couple occasions in the fight, but managed to punch his way out of trouble.
News of this proposed fight comes one week after Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko carried out an 11 round thriller in Wembley Arena, to inject some life back into the boxing scene. Only this time there was a distinct Latino flavor.
"That mega fight really hurt boxing, especially the big pay-per-view fights". The fight with Golovkin will demonstrate my strengths. The September fight could produce an eight-figure purse for Alvarez. I've had hard fights, and that will no doubt be a tough fight.
Former interim world champion and world title challenger Lucas Matthysse (38-4, 35KOs) made a successful return to the ring by knocking out Emanuel Taylor (20-5, 14KOs). The Argentine (38-4) was making his welterweight debut.
By the ninth round, Chavez's face was clearly showing the beating Canelo was administering.
Alvarez knows his next fight will be bigger. "The styles are there, they should mesh together - and on my part, that's what you'll see".