Former US Rep. Anthony Weiner faces charges in sexting case

Weiner surrendered to the Federal Bureau of Investigation on Friday morning, the New York Times reported.

Anthony Weiner, the disgraced former congressman from NY, pleaded guilty Friday to one charge of transferring obscene material to a minor after he was investigated for sending sexual messages to a 15-year-old girl last year.

According to an Associated Press report, Weiner was crying in court as he apologized to the girl, saying, "I have a sickness, but I do not have an excuse".

Besides sending her inappropriate photos of himself, his victim said Weiner asked her to undress on camera. He started a virtual relationship with her, even though he "knew that was morally wrong".

Weiner pleaded guilty to a charge of transmitting sexual material to a minor and could get years in prison. He is facing up to 10 years in prison, though prosecutors are apparently pushing for a 21-27 month sentence.

He was released on $150,000 bail and is due back in court September 8 for sentencing, officials said.

This is not the first time Weiner is embarrassing those around him.

The FBI began investigating Weiner in September after a 15-year-old North Carolina girl told DailyMail.com that she and Weiner exchanged lewd messages for several months.

Melania Trump announces first overseas trip as first lady
Ivanka Trump wants to hear about the challenges women in the country face and the progress they have made, the official said. He will seek to rebuild relations with the Muslim world on his first foreign trip even as political scandals mount at home.


The investigation of his laptop led to the discovery of a cache of emails from Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton to her aide Huma Abedin, Weiner's estranged wife. "I apologize to the teenage girl, who I mistreated so badly".

"Through approximately March 2016, I engaged in obscene communications with this teenager, including sharing explicit images and encouraging her to engage in sexually explicit conduct, just as I had done and continued to do with adult women", Weiner said.

The former congressman is expected to enter the plea Friday. Then-FBI Director James Comey told Congress in late October he was therefore reopening the probe into Clinton's apparent mishandling of work-related emails as Secretary of State, but later said the messages changed nothing.

Weiner's lawyer, Arlo Devlin Brown, didn't immediately return a message Friday.

"While I have provided the Daily Mail with information showing that I have likely been the subject of a hoax, I have no one to blame but me for putting myself in this position", Weiner wrote in a statement to NBC News.

Clinton believes the hit her campaign took from the revelation led her to lose the election to Donald Trump.

Weiners's plea on Friday before U.S. District Judge Loretta Preska in New York City ended an investigation into a "sexting" scandal that played a role in last year's U.S. presidential election, reported Reuters.

Latest News