Second case of Ebola virus confirmed by WHO

World Health Organization and Congolese authorities said Friday that one case of Ebola had been confirmed in Bas-Uele province in the northeast. "The ministry of health is taking all measures to respond quickly and efficiently to this new outbreak".

The three deaths all occurred since April 22.

He has also sought the support of the World Health Organization to strengthen the response to this epidemic. Now it takes about 2-3 days to reach the epicenter from Kinshasa.

"Reinforcement of epidemiological surveillance, contact tracing, case management, and community engagement are under way", Moeti said.

"Investigations are ongoing to assess the full extent of the outbreak and therefore high vigilance still needs to be maintained", the United Nations organization said. Extensive investigation and risk assessments are being conducted and the findings will be communicated accordingly.

The agency also said it would provide assistance and technical support, and does not recommend travel or trade restrictions to the country.

The Minister noted that health care providers and the general public must report any sign of illness to public health officials immediately.

[Cannes 2017] Wind River: ecco il trailer del film presentato al Festival
I due dovranno collaborare per capire cosa sia accaduto alla giovane e chi sia il responsabile di un così macabro crimine. L'agente Banner, però, si dimostra impreparata ad affrontare le rigide temperature invernali di Wyoming.


Health officials in the province of Bas Uele said that samples taken from victims in the village of Likati confirmed the outbreak.

The country has been hit by Ebola about nine times in all. The driver also fell ill and later died.

UNHCR spokesperson Andrej Mahecic told a press briefing here on Friday that the recent arrivals included people with severe wounds and burn injuries, who have been transferred to a local hospital to receive urgent medical attention. At present, 25 contacts of the second patient who died are being followed.

Abuja - Minister of Health, Prof Isaac Adewole, has called for heightened vigilance and intensified awareness efforts on symptoms of hemorrhagic fevers following the outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

He said the disease was confirmed when blood tests of five people suspected to have the disease were done at National Institute for Biomedical Research or INRBR.

The virus, which has been known to be transferred through infected bush meat coming from animals like apes, first was detected in 1976 in a dense forest region that contained the River Ebola.

Latest News