NJ Girl, 11, Electrocuted While Swimming With Friends

An 11-year-old girl was electrocuted at a lagoon behind this home on Tobago Avenue

An 11-year-old girl was electrocuted at a lagoon behind this home on Tobago Avenue

TOMS RIVER, N.J. (AP) — Authorities say a young girl playing with friends in a lagoon was electrocuted when she touched a rail on a metal boat lift that had become energized.

Police said initial reports indicate the girl, from Newark, New Jersey, was visiting two friends. The girls were wearing lifejackets and in the presence of adults.

The other two girls she was playing with were not injured, police said.

According to the Asbury Park Press, the Electrical Safety Foundation says contact in water with 1/50th of the energy needed to power a 60-watt light bulb can cause serious injuries.

Trump lawyer says Trump not under investigation, despite Trump's tweet
The numbers show a six-point increase (68 percent to 62 percent) in the present poll over a similar question asked in late March. Adam Schiff says he wants the White House to acknowledge the tapes or make clear there are no tapes and "it was an idle threat".


First responders utilized an automated external defibrillator and rushed the little girl to Community Medical Center, where she was later pronounced dead.

The Toms River Police Department says a 911 call was placed from 45 Tobago Ave. around 8 p.m. for a possible electrocution.

Authorities said adults in the home began CPR on the girl until medics arrived and took over.

Latest News