A U.S. airstrike in Afghanistan's eastern Nangahar province killed the media director of the Daesh terror group, United States forces said late Friday.
Gen. Mohammad Zaman, the commander of the Afghan Army's 201st Silab Corps, is claiming this weekend that the latest offensive against the ISIS affiliate in the Nangarhar Province has led to the deaths of around 700 ISIS fighters so far.
The June 3 air strike, which targeted a major militant hub in the province's Achin district, cut the extremist group's communications and connections to IS in Syria, a USA statement said on June 16.
U.S. and Afghan forces have been battling Islamic State militants in Nangarhar province since its emergence there in January 2015. "With our Afghan partners we will continue to aggressively target ISIS-K and defeat them", Nicholson said.
USFOR-A estimates the group is comprised of fewer than 1,000 fighters who are mostly restricted to Nangarhar. ISIS-K claimed responsibility.
May is leading United Kingdom through challenging times: Downing Street
We are working away at them and we will continue to work away at them. "I hope we will have an executive that will involve them all too".
In April, the Air Force dropped its largest non-nuclear bomb, known as the Massive Ordnance Air Blast, or "Mother of all Bombs (MOAB)", on a complex of caves in the restive Nangarhar Province.
Islamic State-Khorasan recently chased the Taliban away from Tora Bora, a one-time Osama bin Laden hideout.
On Saturday, an Afghan official told The Associated Press that government forces had recaptured Tora Bora, killing almost two dozen ISIS-K fighters.
Over the past ten months, Afghan and USA forces have killed several Daesh leaders, including the emir of the Khorasan branch, Hafiz Sayed Khan, and his successor, Abdul Hasib.
According to the statement, there were no civilian casualties sustained during the strike.